Home

Elliston - Stanley Funeral Home was founded in 1881 as “R.H. Elliston and Co.” by R.H. Elliston and O.P.  Elliston in downtown Williamstown. It later became “O.P.Elliston Undertaking and Embalming”. In 1935 Mr. Elliston added a young undertaker and embalmer, Beuford E. Stanley and in 1937, Mr. Stanley became the owner and added his name to the firm. It became “Elliston - Stanley Funeral Home”. In 1939 Beuford married the former Frances R. Clinkscales who also became a Funeral Director. The funeral home moved to its present location, 500 N. Main St., in 1955. Beuford and Frances’s oldest son, W. Michael Stanley joined the firm in 1967 while the youngest son Dennis E. Stanley joined in 1974. Both sons went on to be licensed as Funeral  Directors and Embalmers. Later the 2 grandsons, Patrick M. Stanley and Douglas R. Stanley were added to the firm. Beuford passed away in 1995 just before one of his long time dreams was realized. Elliston - Stanley Funeral Home added a location at 132 S. Main St. in Crittenden, Kentucky in 1998.

     At the same time, similar events were taking place in Verona, Kentucky. Mr. Jess Hamilton began the Jess Hamilton & Sons Funeral Home about 1912. Later, son, Bob Hamilton traveled to Alamogordo, New Mexico for health reasons and opened his  own funeral home. The other son, Fred H. Hamilton remained with his father and carried on the funeral home under the name of Hamilton Funeral Home along with several other successful businesses. In 1971 Mr. Hamilton moved the business from the center of town to the present Iocation, 14635 Walton-Verona Rd. He and his wife, the former Ellena Greenwell continued the profession until in contemplation of retirement they selected Mike and Dennis Stanley to carry on their name and profession. The firm officially became Hamilton — Stanley Funeral Home on April 1, 1983. Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton continued serving their community until Fred’s death in 1993. The 3 firms are now operated as branches of “Stanley Funeral Homes, L.L.C.”.